Kids love Sharkwater (14 Comments)

Everyone at Sharwater is energized by the response we’re having with kids. We’ve done a ton of screenings with young people, and talks at schools and they are so excited about it! Everyone wants to get involved and do something to help the oceans. We’ve been in a few thousand-year trend of exploitation and destruction, and clearly it’s not working. We would need 6 planet Earths to sustain life based on the resources we use in the western world. Having young people, kids, teenagers, 20 somethings; respond to the film so well is an incredible sign. Conservation is cool! We’re seeing it in the media, in Diesel’s global warming ready ad campaigns, and in the exploding number of conservation job opportunities. To make great change fast, conservation needs to catch on as a fad, and stay cool. It went the way of the mullet after the 70’s green movement, but is now being resurrected, bigger, stronger, more necessary than ever, and just in the nick of time.

14 Responses to “Kids love Sharkwater”

1. Paul August 31st, 2007 at 2:13 pm

There is a cool way to help conserve sharks and learn more about them at the same time. Check out adoptashark.com where the public can adopt a shark that has been satellite tagged and they find out where it went. The money from the adoption goes to buy more tags and support the program. It is really cool. Right now they are tagging great whites in Guadalupe Island, you can even name the shark you adopt!

1. Dana September 18th, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Im from one of the schools you went to in florida it was so cool i can’t wait until the movie comes out!

1. Rick September 24th, 2007 at 2:15 am

The highlight of the Grays Reef Ocean Film Festival had to be listening to all the questions children had about sharks and ocean life in general. They were like so many lightbulbs poping on one by one.
      Nearly half a century ago, the race to the moon inspired us to greatness. Yet, somehow we’ve since lost the perspective of our world as a finite globe hanging in space. Now the mortality of our seas and sky are alarmingly apparent. But, perhaps the desperate reality of Sharkwater and similar films will ignite our hearts and inspire us to greatness once again.

1. Karina October 1st, 2007 at 5:55 pm

Sharkwater was a really good movie, I got a lot of my friends into it since I loved sharks even before the movie. I think anyone who cares enough to risk their life doing something good for the world is an awesome person! Rob you are one brave dude!

1. Michele McBride October 2nd, 2007 at 11:42 am

How can our children help? As a child, I remember writing letters and drawing pictures that were collected and mailed to the government of Japan to stop whaling. My son has asked me if his school can do something like that. What do you think? And where do we get started. He’s right, the future belongs to our children and they have to get involved for the changes to take place.

1. luxar2 October 5th, 2007 at 10:39 pm

i like the idea of somebody putting there life into sharks. diving with the most dangerous. swimming with the kindest it just makes me want to be like Rob!!!

1. ellie October 7th, 2007 at 6:50 pm

Shark finning is terible I wish they would just stop it sharks are amazing creatures. Why don’t they get that?Sharks controll the population of fish. So if sharks go extinct then all sea life will go extinct I wish I could go and see sharks. ELLE,9

1. Matthew Bergeron October 19th, 2007 at 9:51 pm

ya I can’t wait to see the movie. I live in Florida, and I was kinda hoping you can come and visit discovery middle school

1. Andrew. August 12th, 2008 at 2:53 am

HI Rob.
      My name is Andrew, I am only 8 years old and I love sharks!!! My favorite shark is the Wobbegong.I have watched the move.poor sharks!!! live in nz

1. Andrew. August 12th, 2008 at 2:55 am

HI Rob.
      My name is Andrew, I am only 8 years old and I love sharks!!! My favorite shark is the Wobbegong.I have watched the movie. poor sharks!!! I live in nz.

1. Lily October 4th, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Are you doing anymore talks in Florida anytime soon? I started a club at my high school called save our sharks and I really wanted to get the members and more student to go to a talk of yours. Could you maybe email me if your having any talks in Florida/would be willing to do a talk at a high school there? thanks!
      Lily

1. Andrew. November 1st, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Andrew.

Hi I would love it if you could come to nz.Have you ever met A Swell shark?Thay are 1m long.

1. louis July 9th, 2009 at 6:59 am

Hello,
      Here is My Hero Story on Rob:

Sharkwater is not just about saving sharks. It is about saving the ocean and ultimately, saving humanity.

EARTHKEEPER HERO:
      ROB STEWART

Can you dive with sharks? Well my hero can, Rob Stewart. Rob Stewart, an environmentalist, is impacting the world of what people are doing to Sharks. He has made a movie called Sharkwater. The movie shows how sharks have an impact on the Earth. Also, what dangers face Sharks, like Finning and, Long Line Fishing.

Rob Stewart born December 28 1979, in Toronto. He studied for a degree in Science Biology, he traveled to Ontario, Kenya and, Jamaica. A fact is he loved Sharks and he cuddled a shark! He wanted to do Underwater Photography, and explore the oceans. When he encountered Long Lines on assignment in the Galápagos Islands he quit photographing and joined Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to stop poaching of the sharks.

Robs actions are saving sharks and the Eco System. In Sharkwater he told people how Sharks and the Ecosystem are in danger. If we hunt sharks, the ocean Eco system will fail and we will run out of air. But more importantly he spreads awareness about our Ecosystem and how every animal depends on our oceans to survive and we do. One other achievement is putting sharks as great creatures.

My hero Rob shows an example by peacefully saving sharks. He shows courage by standing up for sharks even when it is difficult. He also shows empathy because he puts his life on the line for sharks when nobody wants to. For example in the movie he got flesh eating disease.
      Rob influences me by saving sharks. He cares for sharks and the Ecosystem. When I think when he influences me he has perseverance and never gives up. By that he influences me to save the ecosystem and never give up.

1. Rita September 2nd, 2010 at 11:46 pm

My five years old son have just seen Sharkwater and he decided that he will protect sharks as soon as he he grow up or even sooner… Thanks Rob, you’ve done a great job 🙂