Opening Day!! (16 Comments)

It’s 5 AM and we’re on the way to a TV interview. Sharkwater hits theaters today on more screens in Florida than any documentary before it. It’s really exciting as the press and public response has been amazing. We need all the help we can get though, so please spread the word. Tell your friends to go see Sharkwater please! We’re battling films with 40 million dollar marketing budgets, and are definitely the underdog. Word of mouth, and people that are moved by the plight of sharks and humans on earth is what’s going to make this film fly. Awareness is simply the most important issue facing the oceans today. If we had even a fraction of North America aware of the issues facing the oceans, everything could change in an instant.
Sharkwater above being a film, is a way to deliver a message to the public – to educate, awaken, and enroll people so we have the support to turn around the fate of sharks, just as we’ve turned around the situation for the whales.
I’m going to be at the Cobb Dolphin theater for the Friday night showing at 7 PM for a question and answer. I’ll also be at the Muvico Paradise Saturday night, so please come out and join the movement!

16 Responses to “Opening Day!!”

1. Izzy Jubinville September 28th, 2007 at 11:28 am

SHARKWATER is my favourite film in the world! It means a whole lot to me, because I think sharks are beautiful creatures and they deserve the respect that your movie implies that they need. This movie is the saddest movie I’ve ever seen, when I saw it in theatres I actually cried. Especially at the scene of the whale shark fin, because whale sharks are my favourite animal in the world. I think people who are working to help sharks and their environments and habitats are good people, like you, and I strive to be like you. You inspire me!!

Izzy Jubinville

1. Victoria September 28th, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Hey Rob I go to St. Timothy the school you came to in miami. I don’t know if you remember me but me and my friend were talking to you from our car right after you left the school. I went with my school to go see Sharkwater and for a first time director it was an awesome movie! You and your crew really did a great job! When i first saw the movie Jaws I started laughing because that shark looks so fake and then I see you practically hugging a shark without it being agresive. Hollywood made sharks look like a creature completely different from the acuall animal that was created. Anyways I’m very glad you made this movie so people can see the cruelty people are doing to these poor inocent creatures. Especially that we depend on sharks and all ocean creatures to survive. Well thank you for filming sharkwater. I love you.

1. Lily September 28th, 2007 at 10:43 pm

I saw this movie on Wednesday with two of my friends. We went because we are taking a film production class at our school and we were told that we could get extra credit if we went to this film. Though both of my other friends were touched by this film, one of them,along with myself, were really inspired by it. We decided to start a club at our school about it and submitted the papers on Thursday. Then today(Friday), its opening night, we gathered a group of people to go see it at the movie theater. Point of the story, I really admire all the work that you have done and that you will continue to do to protect the sharks. Your film is great and an incredible eye-opener!

1. Julian Gomez September 29th, 2007 at 12:25 am

Hey Rob! Wow I saw your film today at 7PM. Not only is the film amazing but you are awesome, I am glad I got to meet you twice. I met you at my school (Coral Park) and then you were there at Dolphin Mall which is insane because really it is not every day you meet the director of the movie you are about to see! Well me and my friend Allysa both loved the movie and think you are awesome. Felt like chatting a bit more but alas I couldn’t. So yeah thanks for autographing my ticket, it made up for not being able to get my poster autographed! 😀

1. Deven September 29th, 2007 at 10:46 pm

I have to say that is the best movie I have ever seen. The movie made me appreciate the ocean more and especially appreciate sharks more. I have always been in love with animals but this film has solidified my drive to protect animals. Now I want to definitely be more active and really change my focus to the ocean. This film has helped me make my decision to switch majors. I have told everyone I know to see it and posted it everywhere I can. Thank you so much for making this. !

1. Raul September 30th, 2007 at 6:14 pm

This movie is nothing short of spectacular. I think it sends the message that sharks are gentle creatures that don’t mean to harm us, and we should do something to stop the slaughter.

SAVE THE SHARKS! 😀

1. Norm Waldheger October 1st, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Hello Rob!
      I’m thrilled to see that all your hard work has come to such powerful fruition! You might remember me from the ship in Costa Rica. I’m the one who complained about not being able to sleep on the deck. I was amazed to see myself in the trailor ducking from gunfire!

This film is fantastic. I just caught the screening last weekend in Santa Fe at the Lensic.
      This site is terrific, but I think that the production gallery could use a few more photos of YOU..Har, Har…

Congratulations!

Well done.
      ~Norm

1. Robert Duvalier October 1st, 2007 at 6:51 pm

Hey Rob,

Any idea when this film will be screened in the UK or Australia?

RD.

1. Paul Colbert October 5th, 2007 at 9:36 am

Hey Rob,

Just saw your documentary a couple days ago by accident in Florida. I have loved the ocean since childhood and have spent countless hours both above and below the surface. I too have an afinity for the shark and try to get as close a possible to these magnificent creatures. I am truely inspired by what I saw on screen and will be making an effort to become activley involved in raising awarness. Thank you so much for making this film!

1. Christopher Chin October 5th, 2007 at 5:46 pm

My dear friend,
      It’s fun to go back and read your post and the following comments. I remember being in the sharkmobile on the way to that interview as you dutifully blogged at 05:00am …. you’ve got to love technology! OK, ok….. it’s a blessing and a curse… but if it helps us get the word out, then it’s worthwhile.

Big hugs to you, brother. I can’t wait to see you guys again!

1. aimia October 5th, 2007 at 10:45 pm

Looking forward to the UK screening for sure!!!!!! But will catch you in Florida first! Beautiful site – Wonderful!

1. some kid October 6th, 2007 at 9:28 am

I can’t wait to see it. sharks shouldn’t be killed!!!!!!

1. some kid October 6th, 2007 at 9:31 am

R u comin 2 florida?! awsome. I live in orlando

1. Peter October 6th, 2007 at 3:46 pm

I’m really looking forward to seeing the film. I’m in Florida (Ft. Myers), but the nearest location showing this is over 2 hours away… I guess I’ll have to wait until the 2nd of Nov.

FWIW- I think this film looks very well done as does the website, but I think all these vanity photos of yourself in the image gallery are really cheesy, and dilute your message and credibility. I would recommend toning it down a bit before the wide release of the film in order to preserve your credibility. As it stands, it now looks like some kind of teen heartthrob or twink homosexual picture gallery.

This is posted with the intention of being constructive criticism.

1. Matthew Bergeron October 7th, 2007 at 9:12 am

hey, if your coming to Orlando can you stop by at Discovery Middle School in Waterford lakes?

1. Matthew Bergeron October 7th, 2007 at 9:12 am