I’m thinking of going to Costa Rica… whaddya think? (11 Comments)

So, we’ve got one of the biggest motion picture distributors in Costa Rica distributing Sharkwater in a big way.
They want me there for the PR tour, for interviews, for talks, and to push the film and the movement. The government will give me bodyguards (mafia) though I’m not entirely sure they won’t arrest me. They really want me there, and for once, we have some power in Costa Rica to make a change and force the issue into the spotlight.
My parents really really really don’t want me to go….
But a big part of me wants to go back.
What do you think?

11 Responses to “I’m thinking of going to Costa Rica… whaddya think?”

1. Nick October 26th, 2007 at 12:32 am

If the offer is genuine, awesome! Take them at their word but prepare for the worst. After all, the first step to avoiding a trap is knowing that there is a trap. The second is not tripping it.

If you can make it as public a visit as possible so that you are under the public eye and the eyes of the international community at large (and perhaps more importantly, make the govmnt/mafia aware of this) then you can use their invitation to your advantage, regardless of the intent behind it.

The key of course is not to be obnoxious in your presentation of yourself and your agenda to the public eye — make sure you have streaming media coverage (in blogs, assoc. press, cameras etc) but not pulling a Michael Jackson.

Hell, if you want someone who is fluent in Spanish, an accomplished diver, loves sharks, and doesn’t give up, drop me a line.

1. Liza Rogers October 28th, 2007 at 4:25 am

Rob,
      I’ve spent a little time in Costa Rica and understand tourism is so important to the countries financial growth. If they tarnish that reputation, they’ll pay for years to come. I think if you take a really positive approach, and share with them ways you can draw tourists to see the sharks rather than encouraging fishermen to kill them they’ll see more clearly…
      If you go, make sure President Sanchez is the one who has invited you. Check out this link for the key gov’t players. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/world-leaders-1/world-leaders-c/costa-rica.html

1. Nathalie Vanderheyden November 4th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Absolutely you should go. Any publicity you bring to the cause can only help! I agree with both comments above. Bring your message with compassion and understanding, and make your visit as public as possible.

1. Ben November 5th, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Is there something I missed?
      Costa Rica is amazing and I would go having not been invited. The time I was there, it was very chill and not threatening at all.
      As a person out to change the fear of Sharks you can’t let the fear of Costa Rica keep you from promoting your movie/cause.

1. Shark Lady November 8th, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Rob:

Often the most challenging obstacle can bring about the most rewarding results if it is done with a clear and clean heart.

🙂

I say……
      go for it.

You have a mission.
      It’s your obligation to follow your heart.

I would.
      In a split second, if given the opportunity.

Sheri

1. Steve November 10th, 2007 at 2:14 am

Yes, please go and spread the word. I saw the film last saturday night in San Fran after surfing in a spot that is now covered in an oil mess. Another story, but I did see a sign as I walked to this surf spot for the first time, “great whites feed here”. Frickin sign should say “great whites are an endangered species”. I had always surfed either to the north or south of marin county, but with the present oil spill, there’s probably going to be no mention of the impact on sharks. Yes, some of the bird species are getting attention because they are washing up on shore, but nothing about what’s below.

Anyhow, this film and the education might just change people’s perspective on these magnificant critters.

As for costa rica, make sure its someone from their government who ok’s guest visa before you go would be my suggestion. Your a bit high profile because of the film, but that’s a privilege and the critters need the assistance.

Its sad, some I’ve tried to share with about the plight or to encourage to watch the film, just don’t get it or realize how fast their being slaughtered. Best of luck if you do go to costa rica!

1. sarah hughes November 10th, 2007 at 3:23 pm

hey Rob,

My name’s Sarah and I’ve been living here in CR for five years now. We live at Playa Azul and thats where i learned to dive. i absolutely love it, the water is clear almost all the time and its so abundant in life, it’s just amazing. A friend of ours, who’s a diver, just got back from a trip to the Islas Del Coco. He said it was…spectacular, amazing, and magnificent to see all the different kind of species. But when i read that illegal fishing was going on INSIDE the park, i truly wanted to go find those people and report them to someone who would actually do something, like confiscate there boats and equipment and make them pay a huge price.

When i went to Miami with my family, i saw your incredible movie. It totally changed the whole “sharks are terrible blood thirsty creatures” theory that i had in my mind. When we got back to CR all i wanted to do was jump in the ocean and go see the reef sharks that are by our house.

I think if you come down here to CR, it WILL make a difference, just like your movie did. I am so sure that people will finally realize what they are doing to the ocean and to an incredible species. the people here are slow at first, but if you get them to realize whats going on behind they’re backs, they’ll start moving towards the positive direction.

I would like to know where you will be showing in Costa Rica. It would be great to see someone who’s so intent on what they’re doing for the environment and humanity for once.

thanks,

Sarah.

1. Josué Rosales November 25th, 2007 at 3:19 am

Hi Rob.

I am from Costa Rica and many people here are watching the movie in the weekend premiere I’m one of them. And the film is actually an impact on the population. Because many people do not know about the Mafia in our country. For that reason I think your presence here could be a really help to this movement.

You know Costa Rica is not a violence country and I am sure that it’s completely safe for you here, I believe you could be in the local news and talk more deeply about this problem. Come with cameras and make some special features for the comming DVD. About the impact in the people of Costa Rica after see the movie

Think about it.

Josue Rosales
      Costa Rica

1. Brenda van Gestel December 12th, 2007 at 4:19 pm

HI Rob,

I hope you went are are still going.
      After I watched the movie I could not believe you guys got arrested. Weird…I dunno what to say. We dive the costa Rican waters every day and we volunteer with the global shark assessment.
      We ask our divers to describe the sharks they see and we hope we can make a differnece.
      If you have any suggestions?………I set up the CRDP(Costa Rica Dive Professionals) and we have many dive(shop) members, maybe together we can help you cuz this has got to stop!!!!!

Martin & Brenda van Gestel
      Costa Rica

1. Red43 October 22nd, 2009 at 8:49 pm

IF they cannot read, find someone who can teach them. ,

1. Brain Horseford July 30th, 2010 at 4:24 am

This is bad especially when Obama is in the process of trying to get offshore drilling approved.