Help us opening weekend! (13 Comments)

Hello beautiful people,
Hopefully you’ve heard of Sharkwater, the most award winning documentary of the year that broke box office records in Canada. Sharkwater took me 5 years and 15 countries to create, nearly ending my life. Sharkwater opens in theaters in the US November 2nd.
I created Sharkwater because I discovered that shark populations were being wiped out yet people were unaware of the issue because what’s out of sight is largely out of mind.
What started out as a beautiful film about sharks changed into a drama full of corruption, espionage, attempted murder charges, machine guns, hospitalizations and mafia chases in a film about human’s over exploitation of the oceans.
The oceans are the most important ecosystem on the planet, containing life that absorbs most of the carbon dioxide (global warming gas) that we put into the atmosphere, converting it to 70% of the oxygen we breathe. That life sits below sharks in the food chain, and shark populations have already dropped 90%. The oceans and our life support systems are being destroyed.
The largest threat to the oceans is now a lack of awareness. If the public knew what was going on in the sea… that we waste 54 billion pounds of fish while 8 million people die of starvation, that 90% of all large predators in the ocean are gone, that every fishery will be gone by 2048; the situation could be turned around just as it has for whales and for the holes in the ozone layer. But we need people talking and pushing the issue.
Sharkwater is a huge ocean conservation tool. If we can get people to see the film, we can unite the public around a new view of sharks and the oceans, and ultimately that public support will lead to the greatest change, and the perpetuation of human life on earth.
We need people to go to theaters and see Sharkwater opening weekend – November 2nd so please tell your friends and family, and if you have a database, please forward on the Sharkwater website and info to them, encouraging them to see the film and save our oceans.
It’s a guerilla movement to save the seas upon which we depend, but it can be done with your help.
Kindest thanks,
Rob

13 Responses to “Help us opening weekend!”

1. amie yavor October 29th, 2007 at 4:34 pm

Rob, I am a speakers agent at Creative Artists Agency (CAA). I was very touched by your work and believe that through paid speaking engagements, we can help you raise funds for and awareness about this important cause. I am available at your convenience to discuss. Thanks so much and God speed.

1. marie turner October 30th, 2007 at 1:16 am

Rob,
      Thank you so much for this doc on sharks. I have not seen your film but will when it opens in LA. I love sharks. On the north shore of Oauhu I went out in a shark cage and had Galapogos sharks within 1 foot of me. It was so incrediable.
      I love them very much. Anything I can do to help educate people – especially these “fishing guys” who think it’s cool to kill sharks and the Chinese who have shark fin soup at their wedding for good luck.
      It’s really very sad. With your documentary you bring hope for the protection of sharks.
      By the way…I saw some of your interviews…and when you give an absolute that sharks are not dangerous …it discredits you. Because there are sharks who will attack and have not let go of someone. So you need to be specfic about the species of shark and their individual behavior. Be clear and specific. Do not generalize.
      Good luck. I wish you much success.

marie

1. Liz October 30th, 2007 at 1:10 pm

I saw on the Colbert Report that more people die by falling in the sand then by sharks………

1. kalani October 31st, 2007 at 2:29 am

when is your movie coming to Hawaii?

1. summer November 4th, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Rob,

I think it is soo great that you are trying to speak for things that cant.
      My best friend and I are only 14, but we care so much about sharks.
      You are our insporation.

I need to know when this movie is coming to FL.

1. Kimberly B. November 5th, 2007 at 5:59 pm

Amazing movie! I saw it on 11/2 when it opened, and I’m recommending it to friends, family, strangers on the street…. everyone I come into contact with at all.

1. Beth November 8th, 2007 at 6:51 am

Hi Rob,

Saw your movie openning weekend in FL with my 2 boys. I knew nothing about it but they did and really wanted to go.

I love the ocean and have been a certified diver for many years. There is nothing more relaxing or beautiful than being under the water looking up to the sky.

Your movie made a substanial impact on me and my boys. We walked out of the movie shaken but with a renewed sense of what can “we” do to make a difference.

Off to school they went to meet with the principal about a couple of things. A field trip for the rest of the school to see the movie and a fund raiser or community service project where they can support efforts to educate about sharks and stop the destruction of the sharks.

The school is listening!

Thanks for making the movie – i certainly hope you/movie get the attention that it deserves and it makes a difference and the shark population does not leave this earth.

Good Luck on all your endeavors.

1. aurore November 26th, 2007 at 3:56 pm

hi!
      rob just thank you for your movie I love it
      I love shark since my childhood and I’m very happy that people like you want to save those beautiful animals. In France people doesn’t know about sharks and they are (as in lot of country)affraid by sharks. what a shame. thank you for your visit in Océanopolis, I think lot of people were enthusiasm for shark protection!
      bye (sorry for my bad english!!!)

1. aping January 22nd, 2008 at 3:18 am

Hi Rob,

If only I had a chance to do part of what you have done, I would do it.

I scuba dive myself, and since I was introduced to this sport and increase my awareness from books and documentaries, I had started to ‘preach’ that people would stop eating shark fins. I live in Asia, and around me everywhere, it’s a delicacy. I started from my own home and relatives and I hope I could do more in the future.

The biggest problems to stop the sharkfin delicacy culture are tradition and lack of awareness. In Asia, the delicacy is still a symbol status of wealth, and people has no awareness of what are shark except killer creature of Jaws. It had rotten deep in some minds.

So I think Sharkwater and other similar documentaries are one of the answers if only it’s possible to reach everyone. As sharkfin eater country, where I live, purposely or not I don’t know, Sharkwater is only showed in certain cinemas here. It opened here on 10th Jan. If I hadn’t seen the article from the newspaper, I didn’t even know it exists. But it’s encouraging to see the full cinema even though it’s not a big theatre. I try to spread the word of Sharkwater as much as I can.

I really think that you are very brave. Thanks for your effort, I hope you continue to believe in what you are doing and one at the time, others would change their mindset, about the beautiful ocean and beautiful sharks.

I hope I can continue diving and flying in the beautiful ocean and nobody should ever destroy it.

See you there.

1. Andrea February 25th, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Hi Rob,

My boyfriend and I have been trying to find a copy of Sharkwater to purchase. We didn’t catch it in the theatres this past November, and where trying to find it in one of our local movie stores to rent or buy. Do you know when it will be released for rental and purchase within Canada??

1. marika March 5th, 2008 at 5:26 am

Hello!

Congratulations for making this long overdue and so much needed documentary. Have you any idea if/when it will be released in Greece? I’m a diver and marine biologist and share your love for the ocean. I can’t wait to see Sharkwater and then urge as many people as possible to see it for themselves. It’s the least that can be done, but I have other ideas in minde too and may get back to you about them soon.

Many thanks for your efforts and good luck to all who have decided to join the fight for conservation.

1. Marion April 25th, 2008 at 9:54 am

Hey,

I saw your movie here in France, it really upset me. The movie is great: beautiful music, amazing images and you really did a good job. I wasn’t aware of the risks of sharks disparition, and i didn’t even know that sharks were kill for their fins. So thank you for all these information, i do my best now to tell people I know and i advice them to watch the movie. Your fight for saving sharks is impressive, your “alone” against the world (and especially against coruption and buisness – and it’s soo sad to see how all this is about money)
      So let me tell you that we are with you and we really support you on your fight. Good luck to you, it s great to see that some people are still fighting in this world…
      This summer I ll travel to Mexico with a friend, we were supposed to visit, but if you need any help in costa rica or anywhere, we have too month there and ready to act. Just let me know.

Bye

1. Jewel Breyer January 24th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

The first thing to look at when planning your trip is what time of year you are going to be diving. Write down a list of your fantasy diving locations and check each one against the time of year that you intend to be there.