Rob Stewart joins the ranks of Hollywood elite

Canadian-born director Rob Stewart has been winning praises for his critically acclaimed movie Sharkwater for quite some time, and now has another award to add to his collection. Joining past recipients such as Oliver Stone, Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise, Stewart received an award for Environmental Vision at the 35th Annual Vision Awards in Los Angeles. The Vision Awards recognize members of the Hollywood creative community – producers, directors, actors, musicians, and sportscasters – who have used their “sight, foresight and insight” to create projects which bring special enjoyment and/or educational value to audiences around the world. Sharkwater explores historical stereotypes and media depictions of sharks, debunking myths and revealing truths. Not just about sharks – the film is filled with corruption, espionage, attempted murder charges and mafia rings, forcing Stewart and his crew to not just stay behind the camera, but move in front of it.

20 Responses to “Rob Stewart joins the ranks of Hollywood elite”

1. Sarah August 3rd, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I never hated sharks.. I always thought that they were scary though.. all those shows on tv freaked me out.

But i did always think that finning was cruel and unfair, i love animals, we are animals, and I don’t how these people who kill them sleep at night.

After seeing your movie I was so moved i made a site about sharks

I’m a thirteen year old girl living in quebec canada. I can’t do much to save them but i can spread the word.

Keep it up, I’m glad this world has people like you.

- Sarah

1. K.A.P August 4th, 2008 at 5:20 am

Umm… Hi. I’m not too sure if this is the right place to put this but I don’t know where else to put it. I’m sorry if it’s wrong.

I feel so late in the game a little bit because I just watched Sharkwater yesterday. My mom and I decided to buy it because she and I are sort of animal freaks (I’m probably the bigger one out of us both). I thought it was going to be like most of the documentaries I’ve seen about wildlife and sharks where a person just narrates and never goes to dive with the actual animals. I’d have to rate yours as one of my top three at least because it’s one that I’ll remember and one that I really enjoyed because you tied it into the big picture while showing people how kind and gentle sharks really are. You got your point and your feelings across through the movie. It was good.

In the beginning, when I was little, I was always scared of sharks. It was just as you said, movies and many people always tell you to be scared of them and how mean and bloodthirsty they are when it’s not true. After seeing your movie it fueled me to not just worry about pandas and animals like that because there are so many people who are already helping and/or trying to help them. I don’t know if this is exactly true now, but not many people are helping the sharks.

Your documentary was beautiful and awesome. I hope you make another one like it soon.

Best wishes and congratulations for all your awards. I know everything I said is probably not any different from anyone else’s comments. And I know I ranted or talked a lot in this. Sorry!

1. Jupp Kerckerinck August 5th, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Congratulations Rob,
      I’m happy for you. Sharkwater is a wonderful movie. I hope to see you at the Shark Research Institute one of these days.

1. Magdalena August 12th, 2008 at 11:09 pm

I was born in Costa Rica and now live in the United States.

It was appalling to learn what went on at the private docks in Puntarenas, Costa Rica, until your film brought it to the public’s attention.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for raising awareness about the tremendous negative impact that continuing to kill these marine creatures would bring about.

Follow the following link, to learn what measures Costa Rica has taken to ban these foreigners from using private docks for illegal fishing in this beautiful country:

Again, thanks for your efforts and keep up the good work!!

1. TEEDA August 26th, 2008 at 11:28 am

Congrats Rob , we are all supporting you for the love f sharks and for the cause you’ re defending.

1. borret August 30th, 2008 at 9:00 am

hello rob je m apelle loic j ai 12 je vie en corse je suis de tout coeur avec toi pour tu ne va pa te laisser faire
      j aii déja nager avec des requin sait ma vie petètre un jour je serai comme toi bis et bon courage

1. Melissa September 27th, 2008 at 7:57 pm

I just finished watching this documentary on the movie network. The credits are rolling as I am typing this. I posted the link to the movie site, and also to Saving Sharks…..on my facebook page.

I have 3 little boys who love sharks, now they’ll have even more reason to. They will be seeing it as soon as possible!

Way to spread Awareness! Major kudos to you!

1. shealin September 28th, 2008 at 6:18 pm

this mvie is very inpiring

1. Jewel September 29th, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I love what you have done for sharks and creating awareness of what is happening to them. It is very inspiring. Thank You.

1. caroline October 2nd, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Hello Rob! I want you to know that I really loved your movie, and it was a great eye-opener. In Sweden, more and more people is getting involved in this question about finning etc. Even a 6-year old kid has started a new website to support the sharks ( you can read it in english): http://www.savethesharks.se . I think that your are a big part for all this action. I wish you all the best in the future!

1. Amanda October 11th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

I want to say that I just finished watching Sharkwater for the 3rd time and I continue to be amazed at the cruelty of the people in our world. I am only 12 years old but if anyone knows about anything I can do to help please tell me!!

1. Andere Nieva October 19th, 2008 at 10:57 am

Hy, I’m a spanish girl with an age of 13 years old “sharkwater”came out on cinemas in here(Spain) in february of this year i went to see it 6 times and i still kept amaze about how cruel people are with this wonderful animal. Wehn i was 8 I had to do a work about sharks and it was then when started to get my interest in sharks. Last year I wrote a letter to the goberment but i didn’t get a reply so now me and some friends are going to start to collect money to see if we can’t do something for SHARKS.

1. Diego Grooscors November 13th, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Hello all :

My name is Diego Grooscors a private citizen from Costa Rica, I am currently an active member of a new type of movement called “Movimiento Patriotico” or “Patriotic Movement” we have been actively working againts the Bush Free trade and we have supported different causes in a independent form I cannot speak for all. I personally marched against shark killing and as a simple citizen faught for this specific cause.

However Today my History is different I am acitve in a political Level , we are tired on how they how slowly destroyed our country and our resources. Costa Rica is in a silent crisis that the world need to know about. We have been betrayed by a nobel prize winner and today we have different crisis like for example they want to do minning in the north part of the country, they have certified the Cafta with USA a Cafta that is from the worst president of USA so basicly it will destroy us commercially.

I apologize for this introduction but I feel that our history must be told also. However the reason for this email to all of you is to inform and advised that today after preassure from fishermens it is possible that shark killing may become a legal reality. All started yesterday when fishermen blocked the port of Puntarenas and not allowing the docking of a cruiser ship they are poor and being manhandled by the mafias in the area. So today they meet up with goverment official and they agreed to make a law and change the shark fishing aspects of the country.

It is understanable that the fishermen are poor and they want money to sustain their families but to pretend shark killing for their fins and say it is going to be in a for the good of the people I find it difficult to believe it.

So be aware the Sharks are in danger again in costa rica

Below links to newspapers , unfortunally in spanish about the problems

I just wish to conclude that we will start making more sound we need the world to realize that this small country is being destroyed by wrong politics and wrong Politicians ..We have Been Betrayed By oscar Arias Sanchez and his crew

Help is needed.

Diego Grooscors A.

1. Carlos Sojo November 15th, 2008 at 4:42 pm

A little respect to Costarican figthers on behalf sharks and environment, please.

I do have a lot of respect to people, like the director of Sharkwater, who engage to defend good causes. But his approach is remarkable anglosaxon oriented (neocolonialist in a sense). I mean, I just saw the movie in cable tv and I don´t know who is this young guy. I think it is a disrespectful position the idea that nothing is been done in our country until this young heroe, -Aquaman style canadian-, came and made us understand the importance of the environment. In this country there is people, even government officials, working for nature preservation long time ago. Probably before the director was born. I am sure these people will continue to work with or without the support or interest of well equiped foreigners.

Keep working, but you should recognize that there is a complex phenomena and a global struggle in which no one alone, can win.

1. eunice November 17th, 2008 at 12:22 am

it would love that rob me explain but on the sharks, when I saw its documentary change my way of thinking about sharks, at the outset didn’t want to see it because thought that it went to do boring but not was it much me surprised, I am of Guatemala.

1. Elizabeth March 21st, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I LOVED THE MOVIE!!!!!I am going to tell everyone about the movie and to stop Killing sharks!!!Its not fair to kill sharks!!!!!I will never kill sharks ever!!!I love that they made the movie!!!

1. Elizabeth March 21st, 2009 at 8:13 pm

The movie was awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Josh April 15th, 2009 at 1:25 am

SAVE THE SHARKS!!!

Great film.

1. Meagan October 19th, 2012 at 5:46 am

I have learn some just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting.
      I wonder how much attempt you put to make such a wonderful informative website.

1. justin beiber August 3rd, 2013 at 5:03 am

Good way of explaining, and nice article to take facts regarding my presentation focus, which i am going to present in institution of higher education.