Campaign against shark finning targets diners (12 Comments)

Humane Society International is targeting Chinese restaurants in Toronto and other cities during New Year celebrations this week with its campaign against shark finning. Shark fin soup, once prized as a symbol of wealth, is a highlight at Chinese New Year festivities and major gatherings. But environmental groups say millions of sharks are dumped back into the ocean after their fins are cut off, leaving them to die a slow and painful death. Toronto filmmaker Rob Stewart, whose award-winning documentary Sharkwater chronicles the plight of the world’s sharks, said the message is slowly getting out.
Last week, food distributor Loblaws stopped selling shark fin soup at its Great Canadian Superstore outlets. – 24 Hours News Services, Thursday, January 29, 2009.

12 Responses to “Campaign against shark finning targets diners”

1. Savio January 30th, 2009 at 12:10 am

It’s all a question of market. If people disapprove the consumption of shark fin, the company must stop selling it to survive.
      Unfortunately most of the people think about money frist, instead of the sustainability of the system.

1. Paula February 4th, 2009 at 12:05 am

I’ve just finish see your movie, I’m so touch! I think every country most protect its ocean, but the world need to know everything about it, why China keeps going on middle age??? When are they gonna stop to destroy our world because of this ridiculous traditions????
      I’m hope one day you can find time to visit us here in Brazil.
      Send you my best wishes of sucess! I already get your banners, and links into my blog.

1. Chelsea February 6th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I’m glad that loblaws stopped selling shark fin , I also wnated to mention that I was THRILLED to see Sharkwater on the Movie Network last night!!! I watched it for the like the 4 th time πŸ˜› We stopped shopping at The great Canadian Superstore as soon as I heard they were selling the soup.

1. Steph February 10th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I was flabbergasted to see what I saw last night. Rob you couldn’t be more right about our friends in the sea vs. land. There needs to be more awareness about what is happening in our oceans and I feel confident people will start to respond (as I have). This is not a bandwagon to hop on but a lifestyle change we all need to embark on.

1. EarnMoneyInternet February 11th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

1. Rosemary Tomlinson-Morris February 11th, 2009 at 7:54 pm

I’ve watched the documentary at least 10 times now. The message is clear. We need to realize how connected we all are.

Even very young children can understand that they can make a difference. No small effort is unimportant. If we know what to do to be earth, air and water friendly then we must do it.

Thank you for your amazing contributions, efforts and passion.

1. Tuck February 14th, 2009 at 11:56 am

I just finish watching the “Shark-water”, and yeah, I admitted that the main culprit for the depletion of shark population is the Chinese. I am a Chinese too, and apparently I am shame of this ridiculous tradition. As far as I can recall, I was taught when I was small, that shark fin is the Chinese luxurious food and it symbols the wealth and the status of the people who mange to taste it. In fact, during the some special events such as the wedding ceremony or the Chinese reunion dinner on the Chinese New Year Eve, shark’s fin is a normally one of the main dishes, due to the so-called “tradition”. Well, I am just a normal people and apparently, I can’t stop everyone from eating what they likes. What I can do is to try my best and spread this movies to my friends and relatives, and explain to them that shark fin DOESN’T contain the magical medicine values they look for!!! In fact it contains a lot of mercury which could probably kills them. Last but not least, perhaps I could use this movies and teach the next generation to stop eating the shark fins.

Final says, thanks for the superb documentary on the shark, and I will make my contribution to this issue.

1. Katelyn:) February 22nd, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I watched sharkwater, and i absolutely loved it! It really opened my eyes. I used to be terrified of sharks, because of those movies, which they protray them man-eaters. Like jaws, deep blue sea and other ones. This movie made me want to take action and tell everyone about it and tell my friends to watch it. Like in the movie finding nemo, they say “Fish are friends not food!” well we should say this about the sharks too! πŸ™‚
      thanks for creating this wonderul documentry, it was fantastic. It made me think of everything in a different way. Sharks have a life too, why do we cut of there fins, while like 1 in a million they do the same to us. Thats what i just see, everyone should feel that way too! πŸ™‚

1. Chris Furtado March 7th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

my french teacher showed us this movie,and everyone was quiet and listening people were actual enjoying and learning from it,i liked it so much that i bought it,showed it to my parents,friends and family,each time i see this movie i fell down and glad at the same time because i know that people are seeing this and learning from it and some are actualy doing something…

Thx Rob for this wonderful film and good luck πŸ˜‰

1. LuAnn Holt April 14th, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Good luck to all you shark lovers out there! if you have any chance to visit theotaku.com then look up shark lover where i will be writing a fan word on how great sharks are and how great the ocean is.:)

1. msn nicks January 31st, 2010 at 4:32 pm

thanks for this post! can I get some of your ideas for my blog? I promise not to copy word for word, only the ideas… take care…!

thanks.