Bring Sharkwater to China!! (17 Comments)

This is Your Chance to Help Save Sharks!

Bring Sharkwater to China! Act Now!

Dear Friends,
It’s really important that you help us bring the award-winning documentary Sharkwater to China. China is the largest consumer and trader of shark fins in the world, fueling the growing demand for shark fin soup that is destroying our oceans within our lifetime.

Most Chinese consumers don’t know that shark fin soup contains shark, because the translation literally means “fish wing soup”. Shark populations have dropped more than 90% in 30 years, destroying the most important ecosystem for our own survival. Conservation isn’t just saving species and ecosystems, it’s saving humans.

This is a huge consumer awareness issue that we have the power to change. We urgently need your help to create a Chinese version of Sharkwater that will target an audience of over 300 million people. We can change the world, with your help.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Donate now to the non-profit foundation SAVE THE BLUE (savetheblue.org/donate) that is working with us and WildAid to bring Sharkwater to China & receive a special custom-made tribal shark pendant, shirt or bag!

Help Save Sharks!

Wear your special shark pendant with pride to engage people in making shark conservation an international priority!

It’s cool to save sharks!

Act now & donate to China

Thanks for helping us save sharks,

Rob Stewart and the Sharkwater Team

www.sharkwater.com

17 Responses to “Bring Sharkwater to China!!”

1. Tsiresy April 28th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I really hope the medias will do something over there.
      And that it will be brought over China to mitivate people to get more aware of the matter.

1. Brian May 17th, 2009 at 11:24 am

I will refuse to eat at restaurants that serve any shark fin

1. Senna May 26th, 2009 at 4:30 pm

i don’t understand why they would use shark fins if they don’t add flavor. texture is a lame reason to kill sharks. they should use something that doesn’t come from the ocean.

1. Amy June 15th, 2009 at 1:26 am

errr,, i don’t know, but i heard that most fish-fin-soup that served by the restaurants here are not really shark fins, they are just starch products?…

1. Rolland June 25th, 2009 at 10:06 am

As a student of gastronomy and a trained chef, I feel sometimes ashamed to work in this industry as I see beautiful and innocent creatures such as crocadiles, sharks, and many other wonderful sea creatures which are butchered in bulk, just to satisfy peoples appetites. For example I have even stopped consuming salmon as, it is currently being more and more fished with no regard for the species survival. I have stopped eating tuna since I found out that the fishermen have no regard for other creatures that they catch by accident such as dolphins in their nets. Unfortunately as I observe growing markets in fish, the more rare a species is the more appealing it is to some customers. Unfortunately China rely’s a great deal on the fishing industry, especially for exotic fish and fins as it brings money to the economy, in essence to the government. People must be discouraged to consume these products, so that the market and demand drop, and the economy will have to search elsewhere for a new market, preferably one that does not kill animals to the brink of total extinction. It is important to tackle this issue not just from a media point of view, but more personal like through the countries culture, i.e. the root of the inner person. As mentioned in the ‘Sharkwater’ movie “fins are believed to have magical healing powers when consumed”, these views must be respected and even appreciated, but not used as a form of advertising and promotion of a new market.

1. Mandy July 10th, 2009 at 10:19 am

I’m from mainland China,but now study in Hong Kong. I’m doing marine conservation with the only one IUCN shark specialist in China and currently involved in the whale shark survey in chinese coastal waters.
      whale sharks have been also captured by chinese fishermen in china, not only because of their fins. The government of Hainan province, china has recently released two whale sharks with satellite tracking equipment and promoted the awareness in this way.
      However, there are still a lot of problems. Your work is terrific, I wish that we can do some work together to improve the well-being of sharks in China.
      And also if you want to konw the the situations of sharks in China, you can contact me .

1. devastated October 16th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I would love to ‘fin’ some of these sick people who do this. Chop their arms off and toss them in the sea see how they like it. What type of sick individual could catch a shark, chops off it’s fins when it is still alive an toss it in the sea. Makes me sick. If anyone who reads this has done it I hope you know you are sub-human scum.

1. Chris November 7th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Hi Rob,

I am a big fan of your conservation work and photography. I am looking for a hands on way to spend my time satisfying a burning desire to see the world we live in and to change and protect it. I left my job in the biotech world in late 2007 and have been doing small business consulting work via laptop ever since…but my life is missing something.

I am a certified master scuba diver and have been diving since 1996. The underwater world has been a passion of mine since my child hood and I want to align myself with living in it, working in it and protecting it.

I am also learning to speak mandarin Chinese and looking for a reason to use the language to make a difference.

If there are any opportunities to join you on an expedition I would like to speak with you or someone in your organization.

My consulting practice is a an extremely lean organization and I don’t necessarily have the funds to donate…but I would love to donate my time.

Thanks and best regards,

Chris Claxton

1. meg November 20th, 2009 at 9:15 pm

First of all,as a chinese, I must say sorry to all sharks because of our stupid “fish wing soup”. What a shame!
      Tonight I saw the”sharkwater” with my family. We were shocked by the situation. and immediately I sent to all my friends the link of this documentary and also on some bbs where i knew. Also I will tell all my relatives,friends,coleague about this, about this terrible thing we have done to shark. Stop to eat the fin!
      It was an accident, at least to me, maybe also to many of us. Can you imagine,we didn’t know it before, even we haven’t thought about it.But now something should be done!
      I believe one more of us stop to eat, to consume the sharkfin, one more shark will be saved!

if there anything i can do,I’m just here!

1. Gary December 3rd, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I am sadden by another situation in this world that humankind will destroy what this beautiful planet is providing for us. I am a father of three beautiful children and am really worried about their future. This generation is destroying our chances of survival and for the many generations to come if we do not stop the tragedies that we has a human race is doing to this planet. I have just seen the movie shark water and was sickened by this. Killing these beautiful creatures for their fins and dumping them back into the ocean to bleed to death for SOUP. Even though it is just used for texture. I just don’t get it anymore. The sharks have survived on this planet for 400 million years, and the last decade, they have been hunted for human pleasure and will not survive another decade. To all the people in the world, when will we has human beings realize that greed and money will destroy our very existence on this beautiful planet. I am only one voice and we need more voices to be heard, so the governments of the world can do something before its to late. Listen to me and to the many voices of the world. Please. I really feel sorry for us.

Concerned Father.

1. Selma December 5th, 2009 at 6:01 pm

When i watched the move that Rob Stewart made, i was really in touche. I cant belevie that pepole dont use there brains. I wonder what can e girl like me do to be apart of making them stop?

1. Ariel January 26th, 2010 at 1:01 am

I was really touched by the movie and want to make a difference. As a Chinese, I know that there are tons of Chinese people eating Shark fins at restaurant. To be honest, I had no idea that fish fin soup was made of Shark until a few years ago… I think the most important thing is to make the awareness to people.
      There is a Chinese version facebook in China that almost everyone goes to, it’s called Xiaonei.com, I think it would be a great place to raise awareness. I can try to contact them to see how we can do with it. Contact me if you guys think it’s necessary….

1. Nathan Ciurzynski February 2nd, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Amazing work Rob! We’ve created some ten pages on our site of sharing your work and that of other conservationists. Such an amazing journey: http://www.sensoryescapeimages.com/what-is-shark-finning/

1. rafael February 11th, 2010 at 9:55 pm

is absurd oque do with sharks and other species that are caught in fishing line, background, many animals that die are not commercially viable, it is unfair and outrageous, we will act …

1. insomnia club June 11th, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I think this is a very real problem and I am glad to see that Harvard is covering it. I think images are the biggest threat, especially on social media sites like Facebook. It’s an even bigger problem now if Facebook profiles have become searchable in Google…oooch

1. Susana Fernandez January 26th, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Hi !

I tried to go to (savetheblue.org/donate) and donate but the link is broken !

Is it possible to pirate burn like a million copies of this documentary… and just spread all the copies to the population? most of these shark fing fishing is being done in my country Costa Rica and guess what… nobody knows about it… maybe a 3% of the population have heard about it.

Taiwan and China governments donate bridges , a national soccer stadium and roads to the CostaRican government… our government is very corrupt.. it’s a dictatorship dressed up as democracy.. but they are a mafia … just like the Taiwanese people that come here to do this massacre … they are a mafia as well …

The only way to stop this massacre is: That Costa Rica government declare this as illegal (which is already done in theory but not in practice) . That Chinesse government bans fish fin soup in China and that all Costaricans , Taiwanesses and Chinesse people watch the documentary.

We need to arise awareness.. and since the ppl with power are mafia.. we need to get organized , distribute the documentary.. everybody needs to watch it…

Do you have an internet link where ppl can watch the film for free?

1. Nina June 3rd, 2011 at 1:04 am

Please advice avancements of this project !