January Jones advocates for sharks (8 Comments)

january_jonesMad Men actress January Jones went to Washington, D.C. this week to lobby for the Shark Conservation Act of 2009, saying, “We should be scared FOR sharks, not of them. The survival of sharks and the health of our oceans depend on it.” Jones became a spokesman for Oceana’s Save Sharks campaign earlier this year. The Shark Conservation Act would outlaw shark “finning,” a cruel practice in which sharks’ fins are cut off, only to be dumped back into the sea to suffer a slow death. The law would require that sharks be brought in to land in one piece and would stop the massacre of hundreds of thousands of sharks each year by fishermen who make enormous profit by just getting the fins. Jones recently swam in the ocean with sharks while in the Bahamas with Oceana, an environmental group that works to protect the oceans of the world. “It’s exhilarating,” Jones said at the Variety Power of Women luncheon last Friday, where she was honored for her work with the environmental group. “They’re beautiful creatures and to be in that close proximity with them was a dream come true.”

8 Responses to “January Jones advocates for sharks”

1. Ivano October 2nd, 2009 at 6:36 pm

will people be still be able to fish sharks? because if so this is only a small step but still good

1. Jimmy van Rijn October 12th, 2009 at 6:47 pm

So true and keep up the good work. As we all know there has a lot to be done. Until gouverments will internationaly accept and envorce the Shark Concervation Act 2009.

1. Mike Cangi October 26th, 2009 at 11:32 am

This is really great to see someone in the media’s spotlight speaking out about this problem. The Shark Conservation Act of 2009 is a great step which I recently touched on in my blog stopsharkfinning.sandshack.org If we don’t do something soon to stop this practice all around the world be are going to be left without some of the seas most beautiful creatures.

1. Pall October 28th, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Ok Here goes.First off I want to say thank you for all your orginization does and its inspiring to know people are doing the human decent thing to do to help the sharks. Now this is important what I want to say and why I am upset for the sharks and support your cause started when I awoke this morning to the today show and I saw how the headline was ” Large Shark attacked by even Larger shark in Australia”. The headline would have been easy to just ignore but I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the Shark that was attacked. I noitced that there was a line attached to its tale in the picture they showed. All the talk was about a big giant monster shark attacking another shark and how everyone on the beach is worried. So I googled this event. then I found that these nets are set up in Australia called shark nets. And thats when I found that these shark net are also causing a problem to shark survival. As I read on the various news sources it said that there is nothing Australia will do about it. So I typed in ‘shark netting needs to be stopped” in you tube and that is how I found a clip of your video Sharkwater. It made me sad. Very sad what I saw. I know I heard of this Shark finning years ago and what was happening. I was against it as a kid and I still am. Yet here we are in 2009 after nothing but knowledge from sharks from the new avante rocknroll style footage from ‘Sharkweek’ last summer to grill our brains with. Yet it seems everyone has moved on and what was important then just seems to go away from main media news. I think it is wrong your movie didn’t get syndication on our cable airwaves during that week as well. Another thing that riles me is I saw that Mr.Stewart was interviewed on the Today show back in 2007 for his movie Sharkwater. Good for Today show for supporting raising that awareness and giving you airtime. But I can’t feel but helpless in watching the recent reaction from the recent Today show headline of Shark attacks smaller shark, monster on the loose to feel all you’ve done in your message and interview in 2007 was forgotten and for not. Hopefully you understand I’m just wanting to send praise for your cause but not in two sentences sorry bout that. I just wanted and hope that in the future that your orginization may bring the as soon as possible the case for shark safety before this new message Monster shark on the loose in Australia takes over your peoples message and we are back to where we were before. Maybe yopu should call Today show and get back on as soon as you can to reinforce what you said in 2007 is just as important today. Just because you haven’t got another movie doesn’t mean you haven’t got another message. Only you guys can get an updated interview or public service announcement about it in juxtaposition with this recent shark news headline happening in Australia, with the shark being attacked by its own. Everyone sees a picture of shark with huge pices taken out it by something big. I just see a sad image of a shark hepless and unable to defend itself as it was caught in a man made net. I think the issue shouldn’t be about the big shark on the loose that bit it, it should be about the net that made that possible. They could at least make the holes smaller so no shark and no fish can get through. The media is the winner here. Dont let your message get lost in the mire of it all just becasue your movie and cause is recorded on you tube or google and seen as an old headline. Why can’t the media remember they interviewed you and stand by your message instead of just reporting it. At least a reminder from them that a Shark is not a monster. If and when I get the money to donate to your cause I will. I’ll tell my friends. In the meantime what has happened to your message if when we watch a news report about a giant shark on the loose drowns out a long time good cause on the today show and other networks. Hopefully there is a follow up on the other angle. The point of view of the shark eaten as it was caught in that net in australia. Ok im done now. I just was so saddened and helpless by it all I had to say something for the sharks. Thank you and bless you all and the cause.

1. Claudia Li October 29th, 2009 at 11:56 am

Hi there shark-loving friends 🙂

We’re contacting you because we have a common love for the environment and a passion for sharks.

I am part of a grassroots consumer awareness campaign called Shark Truth that was founded in Vancouver, June 2009 to engage consumers in a collaborative discussion to find alternatives to shark fin soup. We are a small group of ten volunteers all based out of Vancouver. As you may know, shark fin soup is popular at banquets, especially weddings. Thus, our one year goal is to Stop the Soup at 40 weddings through a video competition that is scheduled to be launched in January 2010.

Although you may not be in Vancouver, we just wanted to say “hi” and see if your group could offer us some support by sending this out to your listservs or posting it on your website. We’re holding our first event on November 19th in Vancouver, Canada for some fundraising, facts and fun. We will be having Nick Dulvy, IUCN Shark Specialist Group Co-Chair as the guest speaker! Tickets are only $20 and available on our website at http://sharktruth.com.

There’s more information below and please feel free to forward this to your Chinese, foodie or earth-friendly friends. Always happy to have your attention and support.

Sincerely,

Claudia Li, BBA
      Founder & Co-Chair | Shark Truth

1. Thobias Skoglund December 6th, 2009 at 7:36 am

Hey!

I saw your movie sharkwater on tv (it was broadcast in sweden yesterday) and I cried like a baby.

I hate what we are doing to our planet (Eat all animals, destroy all nature and ocean life) and in a near future we are all alone on thsi planet.
      What are we going to eat then?
      Humans?

Im gonna sprea this movie to all my friend in Sweden!

Keep up the good work!

/Thobias from Sweden, Molndal

1. Anni December 6th, 2009 at 9:01 am

Thobias Skoglund:

I saw it yesterday too, when I was on a cruise from Sweden to Finland!

It was just coincidence that I happened to put the Swedish channel on just then, and I had to watch it till the end. I was really deeply moved by it. It was a subject and a point of view that I hadn’t heard of, and I just couldn’t stop thinking about it afterwards.

1. Yvette Lindqvist December 6th, 2009 at 9:09 am

Hi,

I also saw the movie “Sharkwater” in Sweden yesterday…it was a big remider of how we affect the world as human beings. I have sent this forward to many of my friends to give them the same reminer…
      What then can we do to stop this cruel slaughter? The people killing sharks for their fins need money to live their lives, i guess. My guess is also that without this money they would be very poor. How many of us would stop our income to save the world without an alternative income, and create a risk to have to move from our houses and get a poor life for our families?
      I think to save the sharks we need to find several alternatives for theese people to find a legal way of making a good income on something else. This is where politics and laws can help us… unfortunalty I think moste human beings need to see a profit for investing energi into somehting. What can goverments gain, both in the short run and in the long run, by supporting laws that forbid shark fishing?

Please keep on fighting for the sharks and for our world!! It is a beautiful feeling to give something forward without expecting anything in return…

//Yvette