Students talk about Sharkwater (75 Comments)

Thank you to Noah Doughty, Biology teacher at Mission College Preparatory who sent us the following letter and comments:

To Rob Stewart and all the others involved with the SHARKWATER film, website and related projects
I recently showed the movie Sharkwater in my biology classes and my students were greatly impressed with the movie and wanted to find out more. As a follow up assignment I asked the students to email me with their comments and questions after watching the movie. Iโ€™ve left spelling and grammar unchanged. I realize that you are busy and probably do not have time to reply to all, but we did want to send you the message that the movie was watched, awareness was raised, and many of the students want to know how they can help.
Noah Doughty
Biology Teacher
Mission College Preparatory

75 Responses to “Students talk about Sharkwater”

1. Oliver January 25th, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Dear sharkwater people,
      you have changed my whole view on sharks. I had no idea that sharks are geting close to being extinct. I luved sharks when i was little but I was too afraid to swim with them. I had no idea about the shark finning and if there is any way i can help i would like to know. Also i have a ? How can sombody my age (15) swin with sharks?

1. Nonie January 25th, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I thought that the movie was great!! I did,however, want to know how they got all of their footage back, I thought the Costarican gov. took it?? And did they get arrested for sneaking back in to Costa Rica after avoiding arrest? I think it would be awesome if he could come to our school and talk about the sharks!!!!!

1. Sydney January 25th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

how long can you hold your breath for? How many different shark species are there? how long can sharks be out of water?
      What is the smallest shark?

1. David Ausman January 25th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I really enjoyed this movie. It was fasinating but also terrifying that shark finning has been destroying a species and marine ecosystems. I think it was well worth the time spent watching the film and hope I can share it with many more. A question: how long has green peace/sea shephard been around and protecting our greatest resources? Anyway thanks for showing us the movie.

1. Matt Souchek January 25th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I thought that the movie made a amazing effort to get the word about shark finning out there. it was a really touching movie, and i liked to see that people were doing something to fight against the tragedy. So thank you Mr. Doughty for showing me this video.

1. A. Buerger January 25th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Questions:
      -How did you get such good footage and publish the movie without getting in further trouble with Costa Rica?
      -How long has Rob been swimming with sharks? Was he ever afraid?
      -Have any nations, states, countries, or even cities banned the consumption of shark products?
      -Were more than 2 sharks killed in the time it took for me to write this email?
      Comments:
      -I am glad we got a chance to watch this because I am aware of the assumptions about sharks and how they are flawed.
      -Prior to viewing the movie, I would never considered swimming with sharks. But seeing Rob and the sharks reactions together showed me that something like that is possible. Now, I think that I would swim with sharks. Not necessarily anywhere, and definitely not by myself, but I am less afraid of approaching them.
      -I thinks that it is sad that society has come to view one of the longest lasting, most historic animals ever in such a negative way
      -By the way, I am strongly against long line fishing and finning, 100x more than I was before.
      -THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Katie Skiff January 25th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

The movie made me realize that sharks really arenโ€™t horrible killers like everybody portrays them. They are just fighting for survival. I have never eaten shark-fin soup, and I can assure you that I never will. I think it is really sad how all of these sharks are being killed, especially whale sharks and great whites. I hope that in the future, America can discover that we donโ€™t really need to kill sharks in order to feel powerful or get money. We can feel powerful by not killing them and protecting them for the future generations.

1. Female student 9th grade January 25th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

In the movie I liked how they showed everything and how they tried so hard to achieve their goal.

1. ANONYMOUS January 25th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Dear Rob Stewart,
      I really enjoyed the movie “Sharkwater”. Before you set out on your mission to open the eyes of the public about how sharks are not dangerous but beautiful creatures, i was actually one of those people. I thought sharks were dangerous creatures who needed to be killed so it could make the oceans a safer place. After I have seen many statistics and footage on how cruel humans are to not only sharks but other species in the ocean and around the world, it makes me ashamed. It seems as if humans are always the ones who decide who stays alive and who should be killed. I admire the risk that you are taking in your journey to help ocean life, despite the chance of being rejected. The sharks don’t have a voice in all of this and u speak for them by petitioning.

1. Simon January 25th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

1. are there any poisonous sharks?
      2. how many sharks(approximately) are alive now?
      3. can they eat people when they are hungry?
      4. how small is the smallest shark?

1. Rachel Howell January 25th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Rob Stewart is brave, compassionate, and persistent. After watching his movie Sharkwater, I was inspired to stand up for and contribute to more causes that I believe in. Sharkwater was an informative and overall beautiful film, the underwater cinematography was amazing and I felt privileged as a young individual to be exposed to and informed of the the violent killings of these sharks for their fins, but also being informed of what we can do to help. Thank you for changing the way I feel about overall marine wildlife and thank you for taking away the only fear I ever felt in the water which was towards sharks.

1. Anthony January 25th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

โ€ข i thought that the movie was really good an showed us what sharks really are instead of just the general idea of what people think they are
      โ€ข i think that people will want to start saving sharks once they watch this movie
      โ€ข I liked the movie a lot and think it should be shown to students in other schools

1. R.C. January 25th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I really liked the movie Sharkwater and it really changed my perspective of sharks. Sharks are always portrayed on TV as mindless killers but now I know their not. My favorite part was when you were on the Sea Shepard and was attacking the poacher’s boat. I really learned a lot about sharks and I thought it was one of the most moving movies I have ever seen.

1. Anonymous January 25th, 2010 at 3:45 pm

In sharkwater I enjoyed how they portrayed sharks as misunderstood creatures, and not the vicious monsters that they are commonly seen as. I also enjoyed learning about the shark fin mafia, whom I didn’t know existed

1. Garrett January 25th, 2010 at 3:45 pm

1:How are sharks able to survive Ocean pressure? 2:Is it scary to fight for Green Peace? I liked the movie, I look at sharks COMPLETELY differently.

1. Josh M. January 25th, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I thought the movie was great.
      How many species of sharks are their?
      How long do sharks live for?

1. Alex Sanders January 25th, 2010 at 3:46 pm

When will sharks become extinct if we change nothing about the shark finning laws?
      Over how many years of research did it take to find out and produce all of this information?
      The movie really informed me about what is going on in the world and how nothing is being done to put an end to all of this

1. ricardo suarez February 6th, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I don’t speak english. I’m colombian but I am very impressed with the documentary about sharks. I think as a species we are wrong and do not wish to correct our mistakes. I know that my country does nothing to prevent this catastrophe and I want to know I can do to save sharks found in Colombian waters. I am a member of an NGO and want to help. because this situation is intolerable. thanks for your work and trying to save the planet, for saving this species is maintaining the balance and the ecosystem that supports it. I need more information. Ricardo Suรกrez from colombia

1. Andrew Keet February 11th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Thank you for educating the people about the plight of the shark in todays world.

1. Morgan March 6th, 2010 at 2:30 am

Yea, that was my class ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Princess March 12th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

What is really frustrating is the demand for shark fin within the asian culture. I think it’s so stupid to serve shark fin soup at weddings…it’s all just for status…

1. Michelle Nuttley March 25th, 2010 at 9:58 am

I loved this movie. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€ :@ ^.^

1. Brett evans July 13th, 2010 at 5:11 pm

sharks are not the enemy my online campiane will begen in 3-4 weeks sharks are my life NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE IT AWAY FORM ME! ppl think im crazy do i care no thay are my pashun it is wate made me how i am naw
      11 yers i studed sharks and now im acting to save them im 15 if you think im werid i dont care wat you think so join my campiane in 3-4 weeks are giv the web info once i set it up

1. Stasia November 8th, 2013 at 11:02 am

As a child I was afraid of sharks before my first dive into the water of the Red Sea, but then after that dive my world turned upside down as I found out that there are really cruel inhabitants of the seas and okeanov.Murena – a bite of fish that can be dangerous for cheloveka.Esli they see the glitter they will atakovat.Kto it had not been.

So I sschitayu that people should not destroy any animal or whether it is safe or dangerous animals!

1. Calgary Acupuncture March 17th, 2014 at 12:55 pm

That is very fascinating, You’re a very skilled blogger.
      I have joined your rss feed and look ahead to in search of more
      of your great post. Additionally, I have shared your site in my social networks