Maldives bans shark fishing (8 Comments)

Just prior to a United Nations endangered species conference that begins this week, a government official has announced that Maldives, an island country in the Indian ocean, is banning shark fishing in its waters. “We’ve decided to go ahead with a shark fishing ban,” Ibrahim Didi, the fisheries and agriculture minister, told The New York Times. “Beginning July 1 there will be a total ban on exports.” Maldives is one of the world’s top scuba-diving destinations. Researchers from James Cook University in Australia last year estimated that a single gray reef shark was worth $3,300 a year to the Maldivian tourism industry, compared with the one-time value of $32 that a fisherman would get from the same shark. Didi said his government began planning the ban last year, but was delayed due to objections from fishermen, who were catching the sharks and killing them for their fins. Now, he says, “They understand that it isn’t a sustainable fishery.” The government is planning to provide the fishermen with financial support and retraining. The Maldivian waters are home to over 26 types of sharks, including the whale shark, tiger shark and hammerhead shark.

8 Responses to “Maldives bans shark fishing”

1. Doug March 10th, 2010 at 9:50 pm

This is great news – shared to FB.

1. George Rix March 11th, 2010 at 6:05 am

I was really happy to here this news, at last authorities, rather than just pressure groups are taking action that will count.
      I want to see shark fishing and products banned in the UK and EU….I hope I’m not thinking wishfully.

1. Ronja Constance March 11th, 2010 at 11:45 am

oh, this is really great news! made my day:)

1. Elina Laakso March 11th, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Great news. I bught and watched Sharkwater today and it had a huge impact on me. I’ve loved sharks and marine animals ever since I was little and when I saw people slaughtering these beautiful creatures on the film it made me really angry. At one point I was crying. I’ve known for a long time that sharks are killed just because of their fins but the fact how big this industry is was like a punch to my face.
      I’ll be following this blog and your doings in the future (for surely it’ll be great way to stay informed here in Finland where sharks don’t live.)

1. Princess March 12th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I agree with Elina…it’s so sickening to know that we are destroying ecosystems and decreasing biodiversity :(
      It’s little victories like this which gives us hope that there can be a better tomorrow…just one step at a time…

What is really frustrating is the demand for shark fin within the asian culture. I think it’s so stupid to serve shark fin soup at weddings…it’s all just for status…

1. Brett evans July 12th, 2010 at 4:57 pm

hay rob plees right back to this but can i still be a volenteer iven if im 15

1. Brett evans July 12th, 2010 at 5:03 pm

i wud like to but im at school pepol think im mad to hav such a pashun for sharks i get bulled cuz of it it brot me down low but when i seen parts of shark water on youtube i thort i need to see it now that i see it my confidance grow i thank you

1. Maldivian Citizen April 12th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Shark fishing is still going on in Maldives. You can still find the dead sharks in the local Fish market in the capital island Male’. When you arrive to male’ near the presidential jetty (where all the tourists are brought to see male’), you’ll see a huge sign which says “No shark fishing” … right about 20 feet away you can see souvenir shops which sells sharks teeth… and walk about and another 30 to 40 feet, you’ll reach the local fish market. You’ll find plenty of dead sharks there. Ex President Mohamed Nasheed, the so called global president, did that for show. He did it to gain popularity… no sharks were protected…only his status as the guy who will do anything to protest the environment was saved. All this shark protection in Maldives is complete nonsense!