Sharkwater premieres in Hong Kong (16 Comments)

The award-winning film Sharkwater premieres in Hong Kong on June 7, 2010. EcoVision Asia will host the VIP Premiere as part of the World Oceans Day series of events. Director and star Rob Stewart will attend the Blue Carpet premiere and VIP After Party as well as other events, including a beach clean up and panel discussion on ocean conservation. The film has previously been shown in Mandarin and the Hong Kong premiere will debut in Cantonese. Sharkwater premiered in Taiwan in May. Sharing the film with Chinese audiences is an important step for Stewart in his mission to spread awareness about shark finning and its effect on ocean conservation. “If people knew what was going on – that their consumption of this delicacy was causing the demise of one of the oldest, most important predators the planet has, and that this is going to mean a big problem for people; I hope they would make more effective decisions, and the demand for shark fin would decline.” Click here for more information on the Hong Kong Premiere or on the World Ocean Day Lunch Panel Discussion. Click here to watch the Sharkwater trailer.

16 Responses to “Sharkwater premieres in Hong Kong”

1. cdnis eagle 03 June 6th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Hello Rob you were just at my school in Hong Kong and the Movie Shark Water was so good it was a masterpiece.Thank you for showing it to our school.

Eagle 03

1. Eagle 13 June 6th, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Hi I’m Eagle 13,
      thanks for coming to our school and letting us be the first few people in Hong Kong to watch Sharkwater. Its a very convincing and good documentary. Our class has posted a post about SharkWater! We hope to raise awareness all around the world! You may visit our class blog:http://mscahusac.edublogs.org/ or visit my blog:http://cdniseagle13.edublogs.org/ reply soon! 🙂

1. Eagle 14 June 6th, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Hi I’m Eagle 14,
      You came to our school and showed us the movie “Sharkwater” I thought the movie was great, so I wrote a post about it to tell the world about sharks and what they are doing to those poor creatures. (http://cdniseagle14.edublogs.org/2010/06/04/sharkwater/)
      I even included your trailer of the movie. 🙂

1. Stephanie June 7th, 2010 at 10:07 am

Hello there
      I am so pleased to hear that you are showing this important film is Asia. I watched Sharkwater with my 9 and 10 year old children and we were moved and appalled by what is happening to sharks.
      Shortly after we watched the film, we went out for dinner in our local area and found that the only place we could get a table was a chinese restaurant. We sat down and ordered drinks while we looked over the menu. My 9 year old daughter announced that Shark Fin Soup was on the menu. The kids both looked over their menus at me, waiting for my response. I said, “Well, this the the kind of situation where you have to choose what is more important, your values or your stomach?” My daughter stood up and pushed her chair in and said, “I can’t eat here, Mum.” My 10 year old son agreed, so we all got up and went to over to the front desk where a staff member asked what the problem was. I stated that we had learned a lot about sharks and their value in the ecosystem and as a result, we could not support any restaurant that offered shark fin products on the menu. We did not make a scene; just paid for our drinks, said thank you and left.
      This was the proudest day I have ever had as a mother. Thank you for providing a compelling film which was so impactful that it could get two very hungry children to walk away from a lovely dinner because they believed that sharks were more important. Since watching Sharkwater, we have never eaten in a restaurant that serves shark fin.
      Good luck with the campaign to spread the word!
      We support you!
      Best regards
      Stephanie
      (and Aiden and Madison)

1. Kirsty June 8th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

HI,

I just want to say a big Congratulations on all the hard work everyone has done to help these amazing, important animals!!! We really do need more people like you guys in this world.. too really really give these animals a chance of survival!!
      So again from the bottom of my heart… Thankyou & congratulations!!!

Kirsty

1. Mark DiMaggio June 9th, 2010 at 11:49 pm

SPINNING TO END FINNING!

Hi. My name is Mark DiMaggio. I am a high school Earth and Environmental Science teacher in Paso Robles, California. This spring, while engaged in a unit on marine science, my students and I viewed Sharkwater. As with nearly everyone who sees the film, we were deeply moved, and …..moved to action. We wanted to do something to help protect sharks, especially those being slaughtered in Central and South America. Here is what we are doing, and it is my hope that you may get involved and help us protect sharks….
      I love to cycle, and this summer I will be riding my bicycle from Missoula, Montana to Pueblo, Colorado, a ride of about 1,100 miles. This is the second leg in a three leg ride across the U.S. (last summer I rode from Astoria, Oregon to Missoula). This year I will begin the ride on July 12, and finish around the 28th.
      This summer’s ride is part of an effort to raise awareness (and money ) for shark conservation. My friend Gaylene Ewing and I are building a campaign in which people can donate a set amount of money for each mile I ride, or can make a flat donation if they prefer. The money raised will be donated to Pretoma, a non-profit shark and turtle conservation organization established in the early 1990’s in Costa Rica. Pretoma has been fighting finning by raising public awareness and advocating fishing policy reform. They are an excellent organization who just this year won the Goldman Environmental Prize for Central and South America. Pretoma works regularly with the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but works on a tight shoe-string budget.
      If you’d like to support our effort to help Pretoma do their vital work, please visit our website…..

endfinning.com

…..learn about our campaign and make a donation. We hope to raise lots of money for sharks!
      Thank you all for caring.

Mark DiMaggio

1. Amanda June 12th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

It’s amazing to get it throw all the world! I do all I can to send the information in my country, Sweden. Thank you, you are best

1. Pernille June 18th, 2010 at 3:02 am

Thank you so much for telling us the story about the massacre of the sharks. For running the risk, and go up against that horrible industry.
      The film really made a big impression to me and my family. There are still some horrible pictures from the film that remains in my memory, and I really will do the best I can to tell the people around me about, what is happening out there in the sea.
      I wish you all the best!

1. Brett evans July 12th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

IM 15 I liv in glostershier england and i love the work you do you are my roll model is sad to now that a lot of pepl hated you for wat you love sharks are my like and NO ONE WILL TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME

1. Brett evans July 12th, 2010 at 4:40 pm

sos i was suposed to sy my life

1. Brett evans July 12th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

i got some info theas are some shark charitys how will help you rob look in to them shark trust, shark aliance, and stop finning wich is a new zeland shsrk charity

1. Brett evans July 12th, 2010 at 4:45 pm

shark sorry i tiyp to fast

1. Patric August 3rd, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I´m very happy to hear that Sharkwater startet in Asia.
      I see your movie last weekend on dvd and it´s so important that you make this film.
      I hope very that this film will change the people and that many people in Asia see this important film.
      Sorry for my bad english:)
      Many greets from germany!

1. kristina August 19th, 2010 at 3:19 am

Congrats Rob on showing your wonderful all inspiring film in Asia. I really hope you dropped a bomb! Keep up the great work, our world truely does need more dedicated people like you which you inspire us to be, so thank you. I try to do my part. I have told so many people about the best documentary film ever made and try to educate the people around me about sharks. I too have always had a love for sharks and a wonder about them, so thank you for your film, it both opened my eyes and educated me. Don’t ever give up on your dream, we succeed more and more each day as we all come together and do our parts, no matter how small.

Good luck with everything in your campaign, never stop spreading the good word, and thank u so very much, I will always be supporting you

Kristina 😉

1. Donna August 22nd, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Thank you so much for making this documentory, there needs to be more action against these MURDERERS!! curbing the demand for shark fin soup is not enough it needs to be ENDED. I WANT TO HELP! DONNA PHILLIPS

1. Emmie Palmerton May 29th, 2011 at 2:49 am

The original inspiration for the rallying cry “Bomb It”.